Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw is the highest and most ...czytaj więcej
Park Mużakowski is one of the greatest works of garden art in 728th-century Europe. It covers as much as XNUMX hectares on both sides of the Nysa Łużycka, i.e. in Poland and Germany.
The park on the Polish side is located in Łęknica in the Lubuskie Province, Żary County, and is the largest English-style park in Poland.
On the Polish side, there are 522 ha of the entire estate, and on the German side, 206 ha.
Part of the park with historic buildings is located on the German side in the town of Mużaków (Bad Muskau).
Łęknica Park Mużakowski is located in the Łuk Mużakowa Landscape Park and the Łuk Mużakowa Geopark.
The creation of the park is associated with the date of May 1, 1815, when Prince Hermann Ludwig Heindrich von Pückler-Muskau, inspired by the English parks he saw during his trip to England, announced to the inhabitants of Muskau his intention to establish the park.
Work began with planting various types of trees, including exotic ones. Old trees were brought to the site by special carts.
The old residence was extended and the moats and defensive walls were removed. In the park, floral carpets with fanciful shapes were created. In 1817, a cottage was established, called England, with an English Bridge with a wooden structure. Pückler also started establishing a spa. The water was led to the Castle Pond by the Nysa Hermann, i.e. an artificially created branch of the Nysa River.
Mużakowski Park was visited by the famous architect KF Schinkel and he made sketches of garden structures.
At that time, the old linden alley, which was a remnant of the old Renaissance layout, was liquidated. There were also gardeners associated with the park: JH Rehder and PJ Lenné.
Despite the increasingly difficult financial situation, the prince opened a spa. In 1826, Pückler divorced his wife Lucie on a fictitious basis and traveled to England to find a wealthy wife who could finance the further expansion of the park. Despite the defeat, Puckler did not stop the expansion, and the trip enriched him with new ideas.
At that time, the Blue Garden and the Lord's Garden were created, and then the Oak Lake was dug.
In the years 1815–1845, the residence grew into a vast Muskauer Landscape Park.
In 1834, Puckler's most famous work, entitled "Sketches on landscape gardening", which turned out to be helpful in the modern restoration of the park. After 1840, a brewery was established here, and later also an orangery.
However, financial troubles led to the sale of the property in 1845. The prince moved to Branitz where he created another extraordinary park where he was buried in 1871.
In Pückler's time, most of the bridges and viaducts were wooden, and only subsequent owners built brick ones.
The next owner was Frederick the Netherlands. At that time, the English Bridge, the Double Bridge and three viaducts were built. An arboretum with an area of 55,4 ha was also established, which for the next half-century was considered the largest in all of Central Europe.
In the years 1862-1866, the New Castle was rebuilt in the neo-Renaissance style.
The last owners of the property were the von Arnim family.
Significant damage to the park's stand occurred not only during World War I, but also during an attempt to build a golf course in the park.
In connection with the death of Traugott von Arnim's wife, a neo-Gothic Mausoleum was erected, but destroyed in 1945.
During the Second World War, the park and many buildings were destroyed. The Double Bridge was rebuilt only in 2003, and the English Bridge in 2011.
On the German side, the New Castle was also rebuilt, which today houses an information center and organizes various types of exhibitions. The farm was also restored and work commenced on the Cavalier's House, which once housed a theater.
Traces of old trenches are still visible in the field.
After the state border was established on the Nysa Łużycka river, there were two castles with gardens and a Mountain Park on the German side, and a landscape park on the Polish side.
On May 1, 2004, the Polish part of the park was declared a historical monument, and on July 2, 2004, Muskauer Park was entered on the UNESCO World Heritage List as the 12th site in Poland.
- it is the only cross-border landscape park in Europe
- is one of 27 European parks entered on the UNESCO list
- The "Old Castle" was created on the model of buildings existing in British parks, where a historic building should be located, creating the atmosphere of a given place
- here is the tomb of Machbuba, an Egyptian girl, bought by Puckler at the market during his trip to Egypt
-The Old and New Castle are surrounded by the Castle Garden, the Blue Garden, the Lord's Garden, and further the Mountain Park and the Spa Park
-Bad Muskau in Sorbian language means "city of men"
-in the 40s, the first aerial photos of the park were taken
- over 80 seedlings of plants forming the arboretum and plants with protective functions have been planted here
- oak had the most, 150 species and varieties
- in total, the plants belonged to 2789 taxa
- at present, there are almost no arboretum species
- you can admire the impressive Caucasian spruce, the monumental Douglas firs, Canadian Christmas trees, black pines, scarlet oaks, chestnuts and numerous varieties of honeysuckles
-Arboretum of the Muskauer Park in the XNUMXth century was described as "the largest dendrological collection in Central Europe"
- a variety of sessile oak (Quercus petraea 'Musacaviense') was bred here, which is currently being recreated by the Regional Directorate of State Forests in Zielona Góra
-the most beautiful bridges are: Double Bridge, English Bridge and Fuchsia Bridge
-since 1994, at the turn of May and June, the Muskauer Park Festival has been organized in Łęknica
- tourists can explore the park on foot, by bike, in a horse-drawn carriage or admire it from a kayak
-the area is not fenced
- the park is visited by around 300 people a year
- admission is free
-cycle routes run through the Muskau Park, showing the beauty of this place (three main routes, 2, 7 and 12 kilometers long)
-to visit the park you should devote up to 6 hours
- it is best to visit the German part of the park on foot, and the Polish part by bike or in a horse-drawn carriage
- in the village of Bronowice, 2 kilometers from Łęknica, there is a canoe rental, from which you can also visit the Łęknica Muskau Park
-Arboretum with an impressive collection of woody plants
- Castle Park, Mountain Park, and Spa Park with a pump room of mineral waters
-Mużakowski Park New Castle, known as Puckler's Castle, on the German side. The Double Bridge leads to it. This castle is an impressive residence, built in the XNUMXth century on the foundations of an earlier, XNUMXth-century, Renaissance building.
-The Old Castle in Muskau (Alter Schloss) dates from the XNUMXth century. It was rebuilt from post-war damage. This building became the "old castle" in the landscape assumption created by Puckler. Formerly it was the gatehouse of the old castle complex.
-Mużakowski Park Double Bridge connects two parts of the park, separated by a river and the state border. It connects Bad Muskau and Leknica.
The park is available XNUMX/XNUMX free of charge.
In the park, it is forbidden to use motor vehicles, make fires, destroy buildings and vegetation.
Staying in the park during strong winds and storms is prohibited.
In the area where the Muskauer Park is located, you can rent accommodation in hotels, hostels, boarding houses and agritourism farms.
- by car from the A4 motorway from Wrocław, exit to Żary, then road no.12 to Łęknica, from Zielona Góra and road no.27 to Żary, then road no.12 to Łęknica