Thermal waters used in the Termy Mszczonów complex are rich in ...czytaj więcej
Grodno Castle in Zagórze Śląskie, it was built on the top of Góra Choina, at an altitude of 450 m above sea level, at the junction of the Wałbrzyskie Mountains and the Owl Mountains. This picturesquely situated stronghold rises above the valley of the Bystrzyca Świdnicka River and is located in the "Góra Choina" nature reserve.
The origins of Grodno Castle date back to the Middle Ages, the times of the Silesian Piasts, but at the end of the XNUMXth century, the castle was rebuilt in the new Renaissance style into a magnificent magnate residence.
Legend has it that about the former stronghold of Grodno Castle, an English knight came here around 800 AD and built a four-sided wooden watchtower. Its extension was later taken up by Bolesław the Tall, son of Władysław the Exile.
The first preserved document about the existence of the castle comes from 1315. It is believed that the cause of the construction of this stronghold was the need to protect the trade route running at the foot of the mountain, in the valley of the Bystrzyca River.
The brick castle was probably built by Piast Śląski, prince Bolko I of the Raw.
Later, the upper castle was expanded, with a defensive tower, buildings intended for the crew, farm buildings and a large courtyard. The whole was surrounded by a wide defensive wall.
In the Middle Ages, Grodno Castle belonged to the Czech Crown. In the fifteenth century, the stronghold became the seat of robber knights who dealt with robberies and plunder of wanderers and merchants passing by the castle.
In 1553, the owner of Grodno Castle was Krzysztof I von Hochberg from Książ, and then Maciej von Logau, who rebuilt the castle in the new Renaissance style. At that time, a lower courtyard was created, surrounded by a defensive wall with five towers, an entrance gate with a residential building, a bakery, a bathhouse and farm buildings decorated with beautiful sculptural and architectural details as well as portals that delight with their beauty to this day.
During the Thirty Years' War, the castle was captured by the Swedes and partially destroyed.
In 1689, the castle tower burnt down after a lightning strike, and in the XNUMXth century the castle ceased to be a magnate residence and was inhabited only by servants.
The building fell into disrepair.
Only professor Johann Gustav Büsching from Wrocław, to whom the court granted Grodno Castle for lifetime use, secured the castle against further destruction and contributed to the preservation of the splendor of the stronghold.
In the years 1860–1907, many adaptation works were carried out here, partially changing the face of the castle and adapting it for tourist purposes. Already then, a restaurant was established and the first accommodation places were prepared for guests coming here.
Today, the Grodno Castle in Zagórze Śląskie is one of the best-preserved and most beautifully situated strongholds in the entire Lower Silesia region.
Medieval castle walls and renaissance living quarters have been preserved here, and the view from the castle tower is breathtaking.
In the Grodno Castle stronghold, sightseeing takes place only with a guide and takes about 1,5 hours.
The walking route includes the gatehouse, a chapel with a Renaissance portal, a castle hall, a torture chamber, penitential crosses, princess Margaret's dungeon, an upper courtyard, a knight's hall, a hunting hall, princely rooms and a wet room.
In Grodno Castle there is also a Multimedia Bioeducation Center with a modern multimedia room dedicated to the nature reserve "Góra Choina" and a cinema room.
The castle tower was excluded from the tour during the Covid-19 epidemic.
It is possible to enter the lower courtyard of the Grodno Castle with a dog, but visiting the entire castle with a dog is not allowed.
Address: Grodno Castle - Castle Hill in Zagórze Śląskie - Góra Choina, 58-321 Zagórze Śląskie.
Since 2008, the owner of the Grodno Castle is the Walim Commune, and it manages the object of the Culture and Tourism Center in Walim.
Normal - 24 PLN
Reduced * - PLN 19
A combined ticket is valid for 10 days from the date of purchase.
Audioguide (Polish, English, German, Czech):
Rent - PLN 4 / person + free ticket
Wedding photo session:
Bonfire for organized groups:
We honor the Large Family Card:
Ticket discount - PLN 2 (does not apply to a combined ticket)
In the months of October to April:
from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 17:00 p.m., last admission at 16:00 p.m.
on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 9:00 to 18:00, last admission at 17:00.
In the months of May to September:
from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 18:00 p.m., last admission at 17:00 p.m.
on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 9:00 to 19:00, last admission at 18:00.
The facility is closed on Easter Sunday, November 1 and December 24-25.
On weekdays, the first guided entrance is at 9:40 AM.
The ticket office closes one hour before the castle closes.
Grodno Castle - the map shows the location of the castle.
It is impossible to reach the Grodno Castle stronghold by car due to the location of the castle in the "Góra Choina" nature reserve. So you have to leave the car up the hill, in a free parking lot, and walk there, which takes about 10-15 minutes.
Due to the fact that Grodno Castle is available all year round, it is an ideal place for organizing various thematic cultural, tourist, business and special events.
Zamek Grodno restaurant, or the atmospheric Knight's Inn, located in the lower courtyard of the Grodno Castle, serves delicious meals to guests visiting the castle, and due to the fact that it is located outside the tourist route, using its services does not require the purchase of an admission ticket to the castle.
The restaurant is open from 10:00 until the castle closes.
There is also the possibility of servicing organized groups (20-60 people) after prior reservation.
Grodno Castle, accommodation in the historic gatehouse is a real attraction.
The accommodation rooms are located in a Renaissance building from the XNUMXth century. Its richly decorated façade, made in the sgraffito technique, delights guests to this day. In the past, this building also served residential and later administrative functions.
There are three rooms at guests' disposal: two double rooms with separate bathrooms and one double room in the standard suite, with a separate bathroom and a lounge. All rooms were renovated in 2017.
Guests staying overnight in the Grodno Castle can drive into the "Góra Choina" nature reserve by car and park it in the castle parking lot, guarded and monitored XNUMX hours a day.
The Knight's Inn of the Grodno Castle in its unique interiors offers the possibility of organizing a wonderful and unforgettable celebration, banquet, family or business meeting, conference, communion, jubilee, anniversary or birthday.
It is also possible to combine a night tour of Grodno Castle with an evening themed feast.
Weddings are also organized in Grodno Castle.